Tuesday, August 24, 2010

That song would sound perfect in a closing montage!

http://theoatmeal.com/blog/awkward_movies

I laughed out loud (yes, I just wrote that out in full) at this comic. The expression on "you too!" dude's face is absolutely spot on. We all do this and sometimes even realize we did it and cringe. In a recent what-are-you-up-to-this-weekend sort of office conversation, a co-worker of mine solemnly noted that he would be attending a funeral over the weekend. I wished him well, and almost immediately afterwards, he attempted to end the conversation with "well, enjoy your weekend" and of course, I returned with the auto-response "you too!". I love comedy like this.

What I really want to talk about are soundtracks. My moods and thoughts have often been dictated by music. I've always thought that the best job in the world would be to choose music for films. I don't mean so much scoring films. My musical talent has never and will never stretch that far, sadly. I've always had an affinity to certain movies if not only for their soundtracks and perfect placement of pivotal music. Alternately, I love certain real-life moments when they are underscored by the right music, like the right tune in a grocery isle (Mellow Yellow - Donovan) or in the ears, under the snowboard helmet (Organ Donor - DJ Shadow) or while sharing your deepest secrets (Time Has Told Me - Nick Drake) or for waking up (White Winter Hymnal - Fleet Foxes).

Artists are often stigmatized for selling their music to be included in a commercial or soundtrack. This is not a black-and-white argument. In fact, the decision to sell music can be a savvy move when it's done with care. For example, some artists may take issue with selling a tune to the next over-the-top Michael Bay production (of the Transformers empire), but not to, oh, say Wes Anderson's next venture or maybe anything starring Michael Cera. And undoubtedly, there will be those who feel quite the opposite.

Perhaps I just haven't done my proper research (and apologize if that's true), but why hasn't anyone used Radiohead's "Nude" in film? This song inspired this post. In fact, as a bit of an homage to this song, I think I'll start taking note of the names of films and particular moments when I think "Nude" should've been part of the score. Could you call that a hobby?

No comments:

Post a Comment