Monday, September 20, 2010

My verbal ticks

I recently read something on verbal ticks: words or phrases unique to a person. I'll assume they are called ticks because these words/expressions are equally annoying and useless in conversation as they are in nature, not to mention the fact that they are small and generally go unnoticed by most unless they are persistent. The fact that they are persistent, useless, annoying is what makes them ticks.

I should add that verbal ticks are often much different than written ticks. There are most certainly "tick" words that I overuse (just by using them once) in my writing that I would nearly never say aloud, for whatever reason. The rising waters of social media and instant messaging will slowly weaken this disparity (have you noticed people using text-y acronyms like LOL and OMG in speech lately?), but for now, there remains a bit of a palace gate between verbal and written ticks.  Like "most certainly" or "undoubtedly", for example. I don't recall the last time I used this phrase verbally. It could be that it's a little redundant ("certainly" will do) and has a upturned nose, professorial air to it. Either way, it's not all that convincing. In fact, if you were so certain, you wouldn't need to tell anyone just how certain you were.

My most annoying (to me) verbal tick is "for sure", instead of a simple "I agree", which is likely how it would end up on paper. Or "hmmm"-ing aloud while I'm thinking, as though nobody is aware I'm thinking really hard until I let on with a loud hmm. (Also, it's more difficult to think clearly when you're humming.)

Hmmm, certainly I should watch and aim to rid my speech and writing of these undoubtedly useless ticks. For sure, I'll try.

No comments:

Post a Comment