Wednesday, August 4, 2010

My obsession with nutella...

...or anything that tastes like nutella, for that matter. The thick, chocolately, gooey stuff I actually broke my fork in is called Nutkao. It's a rip-off. That's when you know your addiction has come full circle...you start buying knock-offs, mainly because they are cheaper, but also so you can test your knowledge of the original product. Is the cheap Nutella knock-off as good as the original? Is it (*gasp) better? Are there more of less hazelnuts, protein, carbs, fat in it? Can I get away with putting in in my morning coffee? Can it make a meal on its own?

Let's talk Nutella and culture now (because I'm obsessed, you see). Nutella seems to have a higher cool factor than peanut butter. I reckon it's because mom and/or dad or you, if that's how it went down, never packed you a nutella and jam sandwich and sent you packing to learn your ABCs. An n&j sandwich just doesn't have the same ring to it as pb&j now does it. Perhaps another reason is that it's from across the pond. It's foreign and foreign = instant cool. If we bring nutella down to a peanut butter level, it's actually hazelnut butter (hb&j) in the way that Kleenex is tissue paper. Let's face it though, even at the trailer park level, hb&j still sounds like a mid-range, trendsetting retail outlet or a sexually transmitted disease.

My obsession calls...

No comments:

Post a Comment